hole

I feel like a slowly deflating balloon
Air leaking out from the deep hollows of my chest,
From some unknown, pinprick of a hole.
Nobody knows that my soul seeps insidiously, discreetly –
Like how no one discovers that a balloon has a hole in its membrane
Until it is visibly diminished in size.
I figure that a façade is only indecipherable,
When you commit to enough lies about yourself that even you cannot discern the difference between
Fact and fiction.
That is why, I tell myself that the hole, whether in the balloon, or not, does not exist,
And that Alice simply fell asleep and not into wonderland –
Because just like the white rabbit that she was chasing,
The hole that she willingly wished she tumbled into,
Was never reality; merely a wilful dream.
A construct, much like most identities,
A construct, built by societal norms,
A construct, put in place by hopeful yearning –
Defined by what’s supposedly right or wrong, or wrong, or wrong, or wrong –
The hole, does not, exist.
Because if it did, the balloon would not have deflated,
My chest would not be hollow,
Alice would not have fallen,
And I would still be

In love.

Comments

Popular Posts